Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Pet Sounds: How Many Can There Be?

By Andrew Doe

It's been asked recently, and repeatedly, "just how many reissues of PET SOUNDS do we need ?"; to which my answer is, "how many can there be ?" I'm sitting in my study, and on a shelf to my right sits my BB CD collection. It's a long shelf, over five feet and it's stacked high (granted, some of the discs aren't what you'd call legal releases), and in there somewhere are maybe five versions of PET SOUNDS on CD, not forgetting the 4CD SESSIONS box and the DVDA reissue, of course. And now, in front of me as I type, is the 40th Anniversary CD/DVD 'fuzzy cover' reissue. It sounds great, of course, feels good and looks good too (a few niggling - and one major - errors in the liners aside), but the thing is, there's hardly anything in this package that I've not already got... so why buy - again ? The pat answer is simple - I'm a fan and 'fan' is a contraction of 'fanatic'. So much for that. But it goes deeper than this: PET SOUNDS exerts an attraction that's almost visceral in its intensity... somehow I'm drawn to the album, perhaps because I know what's inside the package. That this is the 40th anniversary edition of probably the best album ever released in the field of rock & pop is reason to buy one more time, but not reason enough. In truth, I bought it because I had to, because of who I am, and more importantly, because of what it is. Because, in the final analysis, you can never have too much of a good thing - and it doesn't get much better than PET SOUNDS

3 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Beach Boys!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Billy Bass said...

Pet Sounds was Brians Pet Project. He wanted to grow as a writer and producer and this album allowed him do that. Surfing and Cars was an idenity for the Beach Boys but it wasn't Brian, maybe it was Dennis and Mike. Here at last Brian broke free and although the British loved it the USA were less keen, surf was up while they were still dreaming.

 
At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Ridgeback said...

Andrew Doe says that the new 40th Anniversary CD/DVD 'fuzzy cover' reissue has "a few niggling - and one major - errors in the liners".

Perhaps he could enlighten fans such as myself about exactly what those errrors are?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home