By Michael deMartin
Well, there's finally some info about Pet Sounds we can sink our teeth into. The following press release from Capitol Records outlines what's going on. OK, they're a little late: after all, the real anniversary was May 16 - a month ago - but I'll take it. This actually sounds like a really cool package, but now I've got to spend some bucks and get a surround sound system. The yellow and green vinyl versions sound cool as well. Also cool is the "Good Vibrations" 40th Anniversary CD single. I think all this stuff exists elsewhere, but hey, I'll be buying this one as well - who won't! (Sorry for some of the formatting of the release - there's not too much type control in the blog). Looking forward to what you all think about the release: post your comments!
For Immediate Release
THE BEACH BOYS PET SOUNDS AND “GOOD VIBRATIONS”
40TH ANNIVERSARIES FETED BY CAPITOL / EMI
COMMEMORATIVE, LIMITED-EDITION CD SINGLE, DELUXE CD/DVD AND DOUBLE COLORED VINYL RELEASES TO MARK SILVER ANNIVERSARIES
“Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary” CD Single, In Stores June 27, Features Five Versions of the Timeless 1966 Smash Hit and Its Original U.S. B-Side
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary Deluxe CD/DVD Package Includes Mono, Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes, Plus Rare & Previously Unreleased Promotional and Documentary Footage; Double Colored Vinyl, Limited and Numbered, Presented in Deluxe Gatefold Sleeve
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary CD/DVD and Double Vinyl In Stores: August 29
“It was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water… I love the album so much. I’ve just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life — I figure no one is educated musically ‘til they’ve heard that album.”
- Paul McCartney
Hollywood, California – June 13, 2006 – The Beach Boys’ seminal 1966 album Pet Sounds and classic #1 hit single “Good Vibrations” both celebrate 40th anniversaries this year. Capitol/EMI Music Catalog Marketing will celebrate the four-decade milestones of one of popular music’s most influential and universally-acclaimed albums and truly iconic singles with commemorative anniversary releases. “Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary,” a limited-edition CD single, will be released physically and digitally on June 27. Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary will be released on August 29 in two configurations. The deluxe, limited-edition suede-feel CD/DVD digipak features the classic album in Mono, Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo mixes, rare and previously unreleased promotional and documentary film footage, and a photo gallery of classic band images from the era. A deluxe, double colored vinyl package, limited to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide, presents Mono and Stereo mixes of Pet Sounds in a gatefold sleeve.
"Pet Sounds is a landmark album. For me to say that I was enthralled would be an understatement. I had never heard such magical sounds, so amazingly recorded. It is a timeless and amazing recording of incredible genius and beauty." – Elton John
Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys’ 12th studio album is universally hailed as one of the most important recordings of all time. Since its original May 16, 1966 release, the studio masterpiece has reigned at the top of countless critic and fan polls, and four decades later, the visionary album maintains its timeless rank as one of popular music’s most-cited influences. More than 100 domestic and international publications and journalists have lauded Pet Sounds as one of the greatest albums ever recorded. In 1995, Pet Sounds topped MOJO magazine’s special issue “The Greatest Albums of All Time” at #1 while in 2003, Rolling Stone magazine listed Pet Sounds at #2 out of the “500 Greatest Albums of All Time.”
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary deluxe, limited-edition suede-feel CD/DVD digipak package includes a CD with mono and stereo mixes of the original album and a bonus mono track, “Hang On To Your Ego” (an early version of the album’s “I Know There’s An Answer”), recorded during the Pet Sounds sessions but not included in the album’s original tracklist. The DVD’s six film and video cuts include a behind-the-scenes documentary, “The Making Of Pet Sounds;” “Pet Stories,” featuring interviews with Brian Wilson, lyricist Tony Asher and members of the original “wrecking crew” Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Don Randi, Frankie Capp and Tommy Morgan; the never-before-released 1966 promotional color ‘firehouse’ film clip for “Good Vibrations;” original 1966 promotional black & white film clips for “Sloop John B” and Pet Sounds, and an excerpt from the unreleased BBC television documentary, “Rhythm of Life,” in which Sir George Martin joins Brian Wilson in the studio for a discussion of the album’s musical significance. Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary’s DVD also contains a photo gallery set to the classic music of “God Only Knows” and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo audio mixes of the album plus a Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono mix of bonus track “Hang On To Your Ego.”
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary’s commemorative double colored vinyl, limited to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide, is sure to become a highly prized collectible for fans. Presented in a deluxe gatefold sleeve, the album’s mono mix on yellow vinyl is complemented by the stereo mix on green vinyl.
“Good Vibrations,” named the “#1 Greatest Single of All Time” by MOJO magazine and the “#6 Greatest Song of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine, is a timeless musical treasure. The “Good Vibrations: 40th Anniversary” CD single, presented in a limited edition digipak, features five different versions of the timeless Beach Boys hit, including the original 45 single version, an edit of the song with elements from various sessions, an alternate studio take, an instrumental and a live version from a Honolulu rehearsal in August, 1967 that was originally intended for the lost album Lei’d in Hawaii, as well as the single’s original U.S. B-side, “Let’s Go Away For Awhile.” The single’s original U.S. cover art appears on the front of the CD single, with various international single covers replicated within the package.
* * *
“Good Vibrations - 40th Anniversary” Limited Edition CD Single
1. Good Vibrations (45 version)
2. Good Vibrations (edit culled from various sessions)
3. Good Vibrations (alternate studio take)
4. Good Vibrations (instrumental)
5. Good Vibrations (live Honolulu, HI rehearsal - August 25, 1967)
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile (original “Good Vibrations” single B-side)
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary Limited Edition CD/DVD
Mono Mix Stereo Mix
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice 15. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me 16. You Still Believe In Me
3. That's Not Me 17. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) 18. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting For The Day 19. I'm Waiting For The Day
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile 20. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B 21. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows 22. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's An Answer 23. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today 24. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 25. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds 26. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No 27. Caroline No
Bonus Track (Mono)
14. Hang On To Your Ego
1. THE MAKING OF PET SOUNDS (behind-the-scenes documentary featuring interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Bruce Johnston and Tony Asher)
2. PET STORIES (Brian Wilson, Tony Asher, Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Don Randi, Frankie Capp and Tommy Morgan reflect on the Pet Sounds sessions and songs, the album’s original release and its legacy)
- The Greatest Album Of All Time…
- The Songs
- 'Caroline, No'
- 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'
- 'God Only Knows'
- 'Sloop John B'
- 'I Know There's An Answer'
- 'You Still Believe In Me'
- On All 8 Cylinders…
- The Vocals
- Competition With The Beatles
3. RHYTHM OF LIFE: Sir George Martin & Brian Wilson in the Studio (never-before-released BBC TV documentary excerpt)
4. GOOD VIBRATIONS (unreleased 1966 color ‘firehouse’ promo film)
5. SLOOP JOHN B (1966 black & white promo film)
6. PET SOUNDS (1966 black & white promo film)
7. PHOTO GALLERY (“God Only Knows” audio synched to photo gallery)
* DVD also contains Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo audio mixes of Pet Sounds + Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono audio mix of bonus track “Hang On To Your Ego”
Pet Sounds: 40th Anniversary double colored vinyl (ltd. to 10,000 numbered copies worldwide)
Mono Mix (yellow vinyl) Stereo Mix (green vinyl)
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice 1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe In Me 2. You Still Believe In Me
3. That's Not Me 3. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) 4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting For The Day 5. I'm Waiting For The Day
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile 6. Let's Go Away For Awhile
7. Sloop John B 7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows 8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's An Answer 9. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today 10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds 12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline No 13. Caroline No